Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Insecurity Starts At 3??

It happened just moments ago. Another Mommy Heart Sunk moment. My three year old is having a hard time starting preschool for the first time. She cries, whines, and begs me not to go. I make her. This is life. I love her, but I also love her too much to not make her do hard things. Certainly, those hard things will help build her character...I rehearse to myself over and over again...because quite frankly, I don't want her to go either.
Today was picture day. I put her in this new purple and white stripe dress. She hates doing her hair. It actually never looks that great. You know...like those moms whose girls have curled hair and huge bows that look as if they are straight out of a magazine. Yep. But, no. We don't do hair like that.
I promised I would watch her from outside the window. I could see her, and she could see me. We were both happy. She walked timidly over to the teacher who was having the adorable preschoolers find their name card and place it on the calendar. Eleanor strolled over cautiously. She kept looking out the window to make sure I was still there. I stuck my tongue out at her and smiled. She smiled and giggled back. Awww... I love that girl. Then it happened. The little girl that looked like a fashionista strolled over by Eleanor. The teacher saw her and announced in her cutest, nicest teacher voice, "Oh my goodness. Don't you look so beautiful today." The beautiful girl smiled and continued on her way. My adorable toddler immediately looked down at herself. I could see her mind wondering why she didn't receive such a compliment. She looked at the fashionista again. And then down at her clothes again. She felt sad. Rejected. And so did I. No one did anything wrong. Nothing should or could have changed. Except for the fact that I felt like running in and hugging my daughter and looking in her eyes.
"Baby...welcome to life. I'm sorry you had to find out so young, but here you are. If I can teach you one thing...one vital piece of life: God doesn't look on the outside, but He looketh on the heart.  So guard that little heart with your life and I will be here to help you. If you help someone who is sad, play with someone who needs a friend, say nice words when you feel like saying mean ones...you will be the prettiest girl the world has ever seen. I know...because that's the way I already see you. And one day, you will see yourself the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insecurity Starts At 3??

It happened just moments ago. Another Mommy Heart Sunk moment. My three year old is having a hard time starting preschool for the first ti...