Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Power of Goodness

I don't get it. How can a sliver, a moment, a second of goodness take away hours of grief? I just lay next to my baby girl. She was hard today. Not more than usual...just a normal toddler. Screaming, crying, throwing her food at me. You know, the typical day. But tonight, in a simple, solitary second, everything was good. I lay next to her as she drifted off to sleep. I pulled myself up just enough to see if her eyes were truly closed. And then it happened. A sliver of good. Her pale skin with closed eyelids. It was a second of hope. Of joy. Of peace. And that one, single second, will get me through dozens of days.
My sister has a teenage boy much like my own. She sweats, cries and runs herself ragged trying to raise him. She puts her everything in to raising a child that doesn't seem to care. And then one day she received a text message. "Thanks mom. I love you." A sliver of goodness and suddenly the hard times don't seem that bad.  Just. Like. That.
I guess I do have faith that good will prevail. It has too. There is corruption and cruelty at every level. There is heartache, headache and harassment.  We see betrayal, backbiting and banishment.  I sometimes feel as if there is no hope. Until I realize the power of good.  Evil will not win. It cannot. Because in every sliver of goodness, is a piece of the almighty God. He will win. It may not seem possible, but it has to be.  Simply because God can do more good in one second, than men can do in years. And He will continue to do so. If we only stop and look. Over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insecurity Starts At 3??

It happened just moments ago. Another Mommy Heart Sunk moment. My three year old is having a hard time starting preschool for the first ti...