Thursday, April 26, 2018

Food Issues





I have food issues.  I have no idea how it started.  I honestly cannot let my kids go to bed hungry. If you are one of those moms that tells their child that if they don't eat what you made for dinner then they can go to bed hungry...just FYI...I am the complete opposite. It's not a good thing. It's a weakness. Big, big weakness.
Example:
Dinnertime at the Ford house. (this is NOT made up)
"Ok guys...it's dinner time. Everyone get in here."
"What's for dinner, mom?"
"Spaghetti with homemade bread and salad."
"Oh...I don't like that kind of meat sauce."
"Can you make me some ramen?"
"I think if I get rid of the red sauce off the meat, I can use the meat to make a taco."
The baby just stared at her plate and then crawled down and left without a single word.

What would a normal mother do? Tell them that's their only option.
I'm not normal.
"Sure...I'll make you ramen."
"Here Jake, here are some taco shells for you to make a taco."
"Do you just want a bowl of cereal instead?"
"Oh wow. Naomi you're actually eating my dinner? Thanks, babe."

Yup. That's about every night at the Ford house. Every. Single. Night.
I make a fairly healthy, four food group kind of meal. Four of the five children end up with a bowl of cereal or ramen. Maybe settle for a pop tart or two.

Why do I let them get away with this?
I will tell you why.
I have ISSUES.
I cannot...let me kids go to bed hungry. It's as if I think they are going to wither away and die if they skip a meal. It's not normal. But, alas. We all have our issues. Mine could be worse.

I decide I am done trying. That's it. I'M DONE. I'm not cooking dinner anymore.
But we all know I'm just talk.
I will wake up again tomorrow.
Worry about dinner all day.
Make the blessed dinner.
And then make three more dinners for the kids who don't want to eat the first one I made.
And so it goes.
The cycle of my motherhood eating issues.
But we all know that I will do it.
Again...and again...and again.
Because after all the cooking, the worrying, the clean up and the sighs of exasperation...
I will do it every day of my life.
Because they are the ones who make me happy.
I tell my kids the reason that mothers love their kids so much...is because they serve them so much.
It's just as Christ taught us. You love those you serve.
Well...I really, really, really love my kids. I must be doing a good job serving them.
A dang good job!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Insecurity Starts At 3??

It happened just moments ago. Another Mommy Heart Sunk moment. My three year old is having a hard time starting preschool for the first ti...