Friday, April 27, 2018

Have my last 15 years been in vain?


I was in the car with these two teens. We were talking. Not sure about what. But my oldest decided to take the conversation in a different, unexpected direction.
"Mom, I can honestly say that I don't think you have ever given me one piece of advice that has actually been helpful."
I thought he was joking.
"You're joking, right?"
"No..I'm serious."
"Wait...you're joking, right?"
"No...I don't think you've ever given me any advice that has helped me to be a better person."
I was dumbfounded,
I didn't know what to do..so I laughed.
And then his younger brother figured it was a good time to air all the dirty laundry.
"Oh yeah, and mom. You REALLY stress me out."
"What is going on here, guys...what are you talking about?"
"Well..it's just that when you get stressed...I get super stressed because you're so stressed."
"Jake, I am seriously like the most laid back mom I know. I let you destroy my house. I let you cook in my kitchen and use the drill and hammer and nails and, and, and...I was trailing off."
I was in a state of shock.
"Mom, I think your laid backness actually makes you stressed."

O.K. I couldn't help but laugh. I had to do something besides cry.
Perhaps the last 15 years of my life had been in vain. All of this stay-at-home mom stuff was a waste. Perhaps a day care lady would have given them better advice? I continued to drive home in a stupor of thought. They were both dead serious. I had to do something...fast. I saw a McDonalds up ahead.
"I don't know about you guys...but I need a coke. And you need ice cream."
Upon receiving their ice cream, they both said, "thank you, mom."
I won.
I smiled to myself.
I guess my last 15 years weren't in vain. I was forced to praise myself because obviously no one else was going to.  Alright, Jessie. You're rockin in.
After 15 years, you've raised brutally honest, grateful for ice cream boys.

P.S. Later that night, Will admitted that if it makes me feel any better...his dad has never given him any good advice either. So yeah, I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insecurity Starts At 3??

It happened just moments ago. Another Mommy Heart Sunk moment. My three year old is having a hard time starting preschool for the first ti...