Friday, April 27, 2018

Being a YES Parent

It's not easy...I know. Trust me, I am one of you. We all know that it is easier to let them play video games then let them outside. It is easier to do it for them, instead of letting them fail trying to figure it out. Luckily for me, I was blessed with this kid. He refuses to take NO for an answer. And so I have learned. I have learned the blessings of becoming a YES parent. It's as if we all want strong, independent, confident children...but don't have the patience to let them become such. It's messy. It's tiring. No, actually...it's downright exhausting. And above all, it is humbling. I decided a long time ago, that I would not care what my neighbors thought of us. It isn't easy. There is an invisible social norm to raising children. And I don't fit it. My house isn't white and beautiful. It's worn and tired. My walls have marks and the carpet has stains. Mud lingers in the entryway. Hand prints line the windows. Pillow pits and blanket forts greet you at every turn. Play doh and paint have left my table stained. But I am devoted to YES. The word NO is reserved for running in the street, doing drugs and having sex before marriage.
When you become a YES parent, your life may look something like this...
broken chairs become catapults
and drum sets shouldn't cost you anything
people will stare

and neighbors wonder why...

wanting something doesn't mean buying it, but rather, creating it

bedspreads are meant to be the home of solace seeking activities
 costumes are never purchased

power drills have no minimum age limit

and haunted houses appear in your driveway

laundry baskets become machines of creative movement

Playing with fire...well, it actually should be accompanied with gloves. My fault. For reals.

kids actually really don't need you hovering over them in the kitchen

and no one said you need a fishing pole.

Next time you find your child doing something out of the invisible social norm:  Breathe. I suggest closing your eyes. And just say,
"YES"
Side Note: One day I was explaining to Jake that he is going to be a millionaire because his mom was so amazing and always let him invent things. As a payback, I was wondering if he would pay for my nursing home care when I get super old. He thought for a minute. He smiled.
"O.K. Here's the deal. I'll pay for your nursing home. Just don't think you're getting the best one." 
Hmmm...can't wait for my economy living conditions! Thanks buddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insecurity Starts At 3??

It happened just moments ago. Another Mommy Heart Sunk moment. My three year old is having a hard time starting preschool for the first ti...